Monday, September 12, 2011

Orava is Slovakia: Rozmarin Country Fest in Terchova


In Orava I've done grand, soaring castle tours and quiet village life, so now its time for the thing I do best, party!  I spent my final Orava night watching live music at 'Amfiteater na Borami' in the village of Terchova.  This village is home to Slovak folk legend, Juraj Janosik, and the amphitheater itself hosts many culture events such as, "Janosik Days," and the cooking fest "Bryndzova Halusky Terchova."  On this weekend, I experienced a bunch of Czech & Slovak rednecks playing their versions of American country music at "Country Fest Rozmarin!"


 This is Deda Mladek Illegal Band, who I saw at the festival on Saturday night. The song is, "Jozin z Bazin" which translates to something like,"Joe From The Swamp."  While they are technically not country music, they still do a fine, funny job of playing old American ragtime and swing.  The singer is clearly crazy and doesn't give a damn about being a complete fool onstage.

I don't have to understand lyrics to enjoy live music.  The bands were good, the vibe was chill and Terchova is in the middle of the Mala Fatra mountains so the surrounding countryside is beautiful.  To top it off, instead of paying 10 Euro for the entry fee, I got in free thanks to a friend who works at the event.  Typically I start out with alcohol, but they had cold Kofola on tap, and you can only find it in the former Czechoslovakian countries.  I'll take it over Coca-Cola any day. 
                                                                                             

Kofola only lasts so long though, and I knew I needed something stronger when I heard the singer calling for everyone to drink Hruskovica and Borovicka!  The best Slovak spirits you can get are homemade, but here I have to settle for Spis, still one of the best commercially available.  The Spis Truck (which I will own someday) was parked outside the amphitheater, and it was full of sexy Slovak Spis girls handing out shots and tattoos!!



Strong, yet still smooth and sweet.  The shot...not the girl.  

With hruska burning in my belly and the sun setting I was ready to see the last headline band.  I was expecting more American music, but instead I got Cechomor.  Just calling them traditional Czech/Slovak music is too simple an explanation.  Here they sing, "Mistecko,"  I don't have to understand the lyrics, but I know I got chills.

  Dobru Noc.

No comments:

Post a Comment